Creamy Chicken and Spinach from Weight Watchers Simply the Best
1 tsp canola oil (I used evoo)
2 cups sliced mushrooms (omitted, we don't like mushrooms)
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 cup skim milk
1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth (I buy chicken broth cubes and add it to a cup of hot water - if I buy the canned stuff I always waste it)
3/4 lb skinless boneless chicken breasts, cubed
1 10-oz pkg frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1/4 tsp pepper
4 cups hot cooked medium pasta shells (we had macaroni)
2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
1. In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil. Add the mushrooms, onion, and garlic; cook, stirring as needed, until softened, 5-6 minutes.
2. Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly until the flour is lightly browned, about 1 minute. Gradually stir in the milk and broth; cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture boils and thickens, 2-3 minutes. Stir in chicken, spinach, and pepper; return to a boil, stirring as needed. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, stirring as needed, until the chicken is cooked, 6-8 minutes.
3. Place the pasta in a serving bowl; add the chicken mixture and toss to combine. Serve, sprinkled with the cheese.
- I'm still learning how much dry pasta makes when cooked. I measured out 2 cups of dry macaroni and I felt like it made about eight cups cooked. Oopsies.
- The hubs said it needed more flavor, or at least salt.
- I froze half of it Tuesday night. We thawed it out to have for lunch today and it did not turn into mush. I give it two thumbs up on freezability!
Dijon Chicken from Cook This, Not That
2 tbsp dijon mustard
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp melted butter
1. Brush it on chicken before and during cooking.
- We didn't end up making this recipe. At the last minute I remembered the hubs doesn't like dijon so I just used BBQ sauce instead.
Layered Tortilla Bake randomly found saved on my computer
1 lb lean ground beef (or ground turkey)
1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 pkg taco seasoning
12 6-inch corn tortillas (we used flour)
1 cup fat free shredded cheese
1. While oven is heating to 350, cook onions and peppers in skillet until soft. Add meat, brown, and drain. Mix in beans and taco seasoning and let simmer for 5 minutes.
2. Cut tortillas in half and place half in bottom of greased 9" x 13" pan. Spoon half of beef mixture into pan, cover with other half of tortillas, spoons remaining beef mixture, top with cheese.
3. Cover and bake for 25 minutes.
4. Use two 8" x 8" pans for smaller portions. Cook one now and freeze one for later. Place in oven at 350 straight from freezer and cook for one hour or until internal temp is 160.
- We were in a hurry so I cooked the beef mixture the same but instead took the tortillas and put some cheese on them, zapped them in the microwave for 40 seconds, spooned the beef on top, and rolled them up. Yum.