Thursday, August 26, 2010

expanding my mind

If you know me at all, you know I have a great love for trashy tv and facebook stalking. After using my noodle all day (well, most of the day) I love entertainment that takes no effort. While I'm  still going to continue these habits I've decided I need to get back into reading.

I used to love a good book. I was constantly reading until the fateful day that it all stopped. I would read on the bus ride home. It was the perfect way for me to disappear from the cruel world of middle school, until one day I was so into my book I missed my bus stop. If the kids weren't already mean enough, that certainly gave them extra ammo. By the time the bus driver had back tracked to drop me off I was a hot mess of tears.

It's sad, but that's a day I'll never forget. Reading was no longer enjoyable. I didn't want to read another book unless I had to for school. I took to staring out the window, which truthfully still didn't protect me from harassment.

Don't get me wrong. I have read some books on my own over the years. How can one go on a beach trip without a trashy romance novel? It just can't be done I tell you! But that's what I'd limit it to, beach trip reading. Time for a change. I've read on plenty of other's blogs their reading lists for 2010. Some have goals to read 5, 10, 15 (!) books in a year.

While this is a bit late for a yearly goal, it's a start. I finally finished reading 4% Famous, which of course I started during our beach trip. It was a big bowl full of meh including shoulder shrug. I couldn't get into it, but I couldn't ditch it either.


Next up is The Cheer Leader. Honestly I have no idea where this book came from. I was looking on the book shelf in our guest room and picked it up. When I asked the hubs about it, he thought it was from a college english class he took and he never read it. Although he was quick to point out that he still received an A in the class...the booger. I'll let you know how this one turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment