Thursday, June 3, 2010

six years ago

Six years ago I was graduating from high school and six years ago I was in a pretty awful car accident. I've mentioned the story before about how I was t-boned in an intersection and shattered my right ankle.

I often wonder how different my life would be if I had just gone home after the ceremony instead of going for ice cream with friends. I was a goodie so no, there wasn't alcohol involved and the crash wasn't my fault.

I had a beach trip planned for the very next day with my two best friends at the time. I would have gone on it and perhaps still be friends with one of the girls now.

I could have lived in Lever at Clemson and rushed a sorority instead of having to be in the honor dorm because they had a handicap room.

I would have marched during the first football game instead of breaking my crutches and needing boys to carry me around all day.

I think I'd still be friends with my bestie but I'm not sure we'd be besties. She was there for me and we had a lot of bonding time as she drove around my broken self. Would we still be super duper close?

Would hubs still be in my life? He was part of the circle that I think I still would have hung out with, but would we still have gone through all we did and gotten married?

Would we have bought a house yet? I wouldn't have the settlement money from the wreck like I do now.

Would I be fat? I'm a firm believer that the 3 months in bed not being able to move is what made me skinny. My body is finally bouncing back now and I've been putting the weight back on. I'm trying to stop it.

I'd be able to run though...and walk for hours without swelling. I could go hiking and not already have arthritus. My knees and hips wouldn't hurt from having to compensate for my ankle.

I can't believe it's been six years. Six years ago I was in the hospital in and out of consciousness never thinking my broken ankle would matter down the road. I honestly thought I would get a cast, heal, and be on my way. Little did I know the doctors in the other room were debating on whether or not they could save my ankle or have to amputate it off. I'm very greatful they saved it, but I'm sad that it happened in the first place.

2 comments:

  1. It is crazy how life can change in the blink of an eye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry you had to go through that, but glad you are now well and have been able to live life. What a scary time, though, and I know it must have been a tough recovery.

    Cheers, J

    ReplyDelete